In this blog series, Sleep8 is branching out from sleep related topics to bring you fun activities that can be completed in about 60 minutes, the same duration as your Sleep8 cycle. These could be anything from recipes, crafts, DIY projects, skills to master, workouts, or more. Keep your eyes peeled to the Sleep8 blog to find your new favorite pastime.
It’s here, it has happened—it’s officially fall, and it is officially slow cooker season.
If you have read my previous articles, you may know I love fall. What you might not know is that I hate cooking. It isn’t that I specifically loathe the idea of cooking in general, but the mess it makes and the time it takes up out of my day when I have a million other things demanding for my attention can be stressful. I operate on the side of traditional, simple, and hackable. This Sunday, our weekly trip to the grocery store consisted of pulling items to make my life easier.
I noticed upon arrival to the seasonings aisle that there had been some major damage done, with the chili seasoning packets being rendered almost nonexistent. I found it pretty amusing as I feel like everyone else’s mind must have been going in the same direction mine was. Life is busy, easy recipes are awesome.
The great thing about chili is not only is it super versatile and used in many different settings (it can be eaten on its own, used as a nacho or hot dog topping, served at tailgates or just alongside a sandwich) but that you can also use the same base recipe and it’s super customizable. Everyone likes chili a different way. You can add different types of beans and vegetables to make it a vegetarian friendly chili, or add more or less of what you already have (tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef, etc.) depending on the texture you like it to be.
The recipe I’m doing today is my standard but sometimes I like to add green bell peppers while whipping it up. You can also add a myriad of toppings to the chili itself for a switch up or serve it with differing items.
So for now I give you my favorite 60 minute activity: prepping a quick chili (thanks mom) and then placing it in the slow cooker/basically forgetting about it until dinner. Don’t beat me to the seasoning aisle.
When you’re done check out this cool idea for a chili bar.
What you need:
- 1 medium to large onion
- 1 lb Ground beef
- Chili seasoning (You can make this from scratch or you can cheat like me and use store bought)
- 2 Cans chili beans, mild
- 2 Cans light red kidney beans
- 1 Can tomato sauce
- 1 large can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
How to get started:
- Peel and dice one onion and sauté it along with your ground beef.
- In Crock Pot or Instapot insert, empty chili seasoning packet into can of tomato sauce and mix well.
- Add 2 large cans or 3 small cans of chili beans (undrained)
- Drain and rinse two cans of light red kidney beans and add them to mixture as well.
- Add one large can of petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- Add about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add onion salt, garlic salt, and black pepper (to taste)
- Finally, add the cooked ground beef and onions.
- Once all is place in the slow cooker, cover and cook for 1 hour on high—or if you prefer, 3 hours on low.
- If needed, add a tiny bit of water to thin as desired towards the end of cooking.
Don't forget the toppings:
Pick and choose some of these popular chili toppings to add after you're finished cooking to make it your own.
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Oyster crackers
- Hot sauce
Click here to get started with Sleep8
Already have a Sleep8? Click here to subscribe and save so that you always have fresh supplies for Sleep8!
Written by: Mindi Flippen
Leave a comment